Saturday, May 12, 2012

All Religious Beliefs are Equal

Socrates: "So you believe that each man's opinion is as good as anyone else's?
Protagoras: "That's correct."
Socrates: "How do you make a living?"
Protagoras: "I am a teacher."
Socrates: "I find this very puzzling. You admit you earn money teaching, but I cannot imagine what you could possibly teach anyone. After all, you admit that each person's opinion is as good as anyone else's. This means that what your students believe is as good as anything you could possibly teach them. Once they learn that each person is the measure of all things, what possible reason would they have to pay you for any further lessons? How can you possibly teach them anything once they learn that their opinions are as good as yours?" 
--Plato's Theaetetus
"One of my freshman students was unable to go home for the weekend, so he stayed in town and attended a city church on Sunday morning. As the student reported the event, the pastor's thesis was that 'All religious beliefs are true.' Not wishing to provoke a confrontation with the pastor, the student attempted to slip out of the church; he failed. The pastor insisted that the student share one of his religious beliefs so the pastor could demonstrate his open-minded tolerance. Finally the student sighed, surrendered to the pastor's demands, and said: "Since you won't let me leave until I tell you what I believe, here it is. Sir, with all due respect, one of my religious beliefs is that you are going to hell." Angered by the student's remark, the ministerial defender of religious relativism replied, "Well, I guess I made a mistake. All religious beliefs are true except yours.""
--Ronald Nash, Life's Ultimate Questions 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment