Thursday, February 2, 2012

Worth More than My Measly Opinion

I think I'm going to start posting a photo (or portrait if he or she lived before the age of cameras) of the person I'm quoting, just so we can see and appreciate who we're listening to. I may get tired of doing this later, in which case I'll quit doing it.
"Once, a few years ago at a youth convention, a lovely young lady came earnestly to talk with me. She asked me what I thought about a certain matter in sexual ethics. I answered her with the most careful biblical reading and ethical nuancing I had gained in years of training.
She responded, “Well, I just wanted to know your opinion.”
“That wasn’t my opinion,” I replied. “If I had given you my opinion, it would have been the opposite because I really would like to escape these biblical truths and say what pleases everybody. I tried to tell you as faithfully as I could what all my studies have discerned God is saying. That’s much more sound, more reliable, more eternally true than my measly opinion.”
She looked at me in shock. How could anyone question the importance of personal opinion? How could anyone give an answer different from her own private feelings? Is there really such a thing as public truth?
Yes, there is. And truth’s name is God."
--Marva Dawn, Talking the Walk (quoted on Trevin Wax's blog) 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment