Monday, November 28, 2011

God is Not Like You (or Brad Pitt)

Movie actor Brad Pitt, explaining why he abandoned Christianity, spoke for many when he said "I don't understand this idea of a God who says 'You have to acknowledge me. You have to say that I'm the best, and then I'll give you eternal happiness. If you won't, then you don't get it.' It seemed to be about ego. I can't see God operating from ego, so it made no sense to me." Pitt's operating assumption, as with every fallen human, is that he is 'like God' (Genesis 3:5). After all, he places God and humanity in equivalent moral positions, as if God and humans are entitled to the same things. 
But would Pitt or would we be so self-assured if we were all standing in God's throne room with Isaiah? Consider Isaiah's response: 'Woe is me!' For the first time in his life, Isaiah's eyes are open to the utter contradiction that is fallen human existence--the contradiction of a creature posturing as Creator, thereby denying and defaming the Creator. Isaiah, in the presence of God, finally sees his fallen self, and the only proper response is 'Woe' and 'lost.'"
--Jonathan Leeman, "God, Not Like You;" from Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day

No comments:

Post a Comment