Friday, June 22, 2012

Metaphysical Love Poetry

I read this poem a couple of years ago in Dr. Homer Kemp's American Literature class. I have modernized the spelling. If you like Taylor's poems, check him out here:
http://www.puritansermons.com/poetry/taylor.htm
“What Love is this of thine, that Cannot be
     In thine Infinity, O Lord, Confined,
Unless it in thy very Person see,
     Infinity, and Finity Conjoin'd?
     What hath thy Godhead, as not satisfied
     Marri'd our Manhood, making it its Bride?


Oh, Matchless Love! filling Heaven to the brim!
     O're running it: all running o're beside
This World! Nay Overflowing Hell; wherein
     For thine Elect, there rose a mighty Tide!
     That there our Veins might through thy Person bleed,
     To quench those flames, that else would on us feed.


Oh! that thy Love might overflow my Heart!
     To fire the same with Love: for Love I would.
But oh! my straight'ned Breast! my Lifeless Spark!
     My Fireless Flame! What Chilly Love, and Cold?
     In measure small! In Manner Chilly! See.
     Lord blow the Coal: Thy Love Enflame in me.
Edward Taylor, "Meditation 1" 

No comments:

Post a Comment