Monday, October 31, 2011

Baby Thinks News Magazine is an iPad

At 29, I am actually old enough to remember the days when, if I wanted to know some historical fact, I would look it up in my family's 20-volume 1981 World Book Encyclopedia. My family didn't have a desktop computer until I was probably 15 or 16, and we didn't have internet until I was about 17. So my first exposure to computers came at school. First there were grainy old Apples with dark screens, and clunky old PC's that ran MS-DOS. Then came Windows '95! Ah, a screen with more colors than just black and green! I still remember the Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia--"I can't believe it! You can listen to a 30 second clip of the actual 'I Have a Dream" speech!'" Then, of course, there was the Oregon Trail computer game. There, my friends and I would trek the untamed West from Nauvoo to Sacramento, shooting bears and fording rivers and contracting cholera and administering laudanum. Those were the days!

Today, little Suzy Davis knows how to use an iPad.

I thought of all this when I saw this news story on someone's wall. Which reminds me: a couple of weeks ago, I overheard someone using the word 'wall' in a conversation, and my first assumption was that they meant 'Facebook wall.' Turns out they were referring to the old-fashioned kind--you know, the ones that are perpendicular to floors and separate rooms from each other?

Here's the news story:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/baby-thinks-print-magazine-broken-ipad-201148361.html

No comments:

Post a Comment